What is Windows Live Mail?
Windows Live Mail is the latest free email application from Microsoft. It's an update of the previous versions of Outlook Express and Windows Mail that were included in earlier versions of Windows, but with additional features.
Windows Live Mail's key benefits and features
- The ability to set up multiple accounts, placing all your email accounts in one place.
- Can include webmail – e.g. Outlook.com or Gmail.
- Photo-email, which enables the user to send good quality photos in a small size (thumbnail), so that the recipient’s inbox doesn’t get clogged up.
- Enhanced security features.
- The ability to set up and view RSS feeds within it. These enable you to view sites as they add new content so you always have up-to-date information – e.g. news or sports sites.
- Viewing emails, calendar and other features while offline.
- Enhanced search features to enable searches of sender, title or content of an email.
Karen Maxwell is a Digital Unite tutor and assessor/trainer of computer accessibility.