The internet is a telecommunications network that uses telephone lines, cables, satellites and wireless connections to connect computers and other devices to the World Wide Web. All modern computers can connect to the internet, as can many mobile phones and some televisions, video game consoles and other devices.
The internet can be used to:
- access a huge 'library' of information from the millions of websites around the world that make up the World Wide Web
- send and receive email messages
- share photographs and video clips with your friends and family
- buy goods and services (and often save money!)
- carry out online banking
- use Skype to make free phone calls to other computer users
- play games with other people online
- catch up on TV and radio programmes that you've missed – or watch them again
- learn something new with an online course.