100 people have donned new Digital Champion capes in recent months as they have been helping people to stay connected and stay informed during Covid-19.
In April, as part of our support during the pandemic, we offered 100 free places on our Digital Champions Network to people who were helping friends, family or their local community to be online during lockdown. With its e-learning, resources and community, the Network provides a reassuring training ground for new Digital Champions who need some extra support themselves.
The response was brilliant and, over the past few months, we’ve welcomed all sorts of people, from all sorts of different organisations as well as those simply helping others close to them.
- Like Aishwarya, who has been helping her parents with online banking and set up a WhatsApp group for her In-Laws, Uncles and Aunties.
- And Monju, who works at a food bank in Newcastle and has been supporting colleagues with using their website and online donation platform.
- And Kate, a volunteer with her local hospice in Dorchester, who is helping patients, patients' carers, families and loved ones improve their digital skills and confidence.
- And Julia, working with women asylum seekers and refugees and their children in Liverpool, supporting them with the online skills they need for home-schooling.
- And Wendy in Sussex who is helping people with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Hypermobility difficulties find online resources.
- And Nicholas from Guidepost who set up a helpline and a web resource during the crisis to help people socialise with others online.
- And Jane, who is one of a group of 12 volunteers in Salisbury, providing a post-lockdown service in the community for the most vulnerable and isolated individuals and households.
- And Barry from Age Concern on the Isle of Man, helping older people use Skype and Whatsapp to stay in touch with family and friends.
We have been delighted and privileged to support these brilliant new Digital Champion superheroes and others over the past few months through our award-winning Digital Champions Network. By empowering them to make a vital digital difference to others during Covid-19, we hope we’ve inspired new Digital Champions for the future.
Find out more about our Digital Champions Network
If you would like to know more about how our Network can support a Digital Champion approach in your community email us at email@example.com or call 0800 228 9272.