What is Netflix?
Netflix is an online television and video streaming service that is available in many countries across the world. In the UK, the first month is free, after which the cost is £5.99 per month.
Netflix’s key benefits and features
- Netflix customers can stream an unlimited number of films, documentaries and television programmes from a huge catalogue.
- The content is streamed over the internet, so customers do not have to wait for DVDs to arrive through the post or to be downloaded in full before watching.
- The exact catalogue of content offered differs from country to country.
- Netflix began life in the USA as a DVD ordering service, similar to Love Film in the UK. In the UK, Netflix is an online-only service.
- As well as offering popular and niche television and film content, in 2011 Netflix began commissioning and creating their own ‘original programming’. This has included critically-acclaimed political drama, House of Cards, a new series of cult comedy Arrested Development and prison drama Orange Is The New Black.