What is an iPhone?
Apple’s iPhone is still the most successful smartphone on the market since the iPhone range launched in 2007. It’s been widely credited with creating the modern smartphone market and is the benchmark for top smartphones to be judged against.
In September, 2014, Apple released the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - the latter of which is much larger than previous Apple handsets, and has a 5.5-inch screen.
The iPhone's key benefits and features
- The iPhone 6 Plus can have a data memory of up to 128 gigabytes. This means that you can carry and listen to thousands of songs or watch hours of video on the go.
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the thinnest Apple phones yet, at 6.9mm and 7.1mm respectively.
- The most recent iPhone models come with a large number of features, many of which are now considered standard for smartphones. These include HD (high definition) video cameras, GPS (i.e. sat-nav) touchscreen controls, a compass and motion sensors.
- The iPhone 6 has a fingerprint scanner, allowing phone users to unlock their phone with a fingerprint swipe instead of a passcode - very handy if you easily forget passcodes!
- The more recent iPhones include a voice activated 'assistant' called Siri that can perform functions like setting alarms, texting contacts or browsing the internet.
- The iPhone has over 900,000 apps available. Some of these are free, whilst others will have a charge.
- The App Store offers applications that almost limitlessly extend the functions of the phone. There’s a huge variety of apps – from fun programs like painting and photography to useful tools like personal banking. As of May 2013, 50 billion apps have been downloaded!
- Apple has been criticised for its restrictions on modifying its phones and for its total control over the App Store marketplace. Apple claims that this allows it to maintain the high quality of tools and functions that can be used on its handsets.
- The cost of an iPhone varies wildly due to the price for the device as well as contract monthly costs because it uses a phone type operating system. It pays to shop around before committing.
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is available in three metallic colours.
- Text can be made larger for those who have difficulties with smaller screens and it also has features for people with hearing loss.