How to use the internet on Windows 8.1
If you have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, you will probably be finding that searching the internet using the new Internet Explorer app is quite different from using previous versions.
- IE11 which is the new ‘metro’ style app and is opened by clicking a tile on the Start screen
- IE11 for Windows 7, which is a more traditional version and is opened by clicking an icon on the Desktop
- A computer with Windows 8 running.
- An internet connection.
- The arrows at either end take you backwards (right) or forwards to pages you’ve already visited.
- The Refresh icon (right) re-loads the screen – click this if the page doesn’t display properly.
- The Tools icon (spanner) gives you several options:
- 'Get app for this site' will take you to the Store, if the site you are on has its own app. If this option is ‘greyed out’ as in the screenshot, it means there isn’t an app available.
- 'Find on page' enables you to search the current page for a word or phrase.
- 'Report website problems' will send information to Microsoft.
- View on the desktop will open the current page in the more traditional version of Internet Explorer on the Desktop.
- 'View downloads' will open your Downloads folder and show any files you have previously downloaded.
- 'Options' gives you customisation options e.g. a Zoom for making webpages larger or smaller
- Click the Tab icon to see other tabs that are open. Click the + to open a new tab. Clicking the other icon with the three dots in it gives you the options to close the tabs or open a new InPrivate tab. Browsing in an InPrivate tab means that the websites you visit won’t be added to your Internet History, so this is a safer option if you are using a shared computer.
- The Drawing pin icon enables you to pin the site to the Start screen, which means that it will have its own tile.
- Click the Star icon to add the current website to your Favourites
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open the Charms Bar by pointing your mouse at the top or bottom right hand corner of the screen.
- Click the Settings Charm.
- Click Options.
- Scroll down to 'History' and click Select.
- Press the Escape key or click elsewhere on the screen to close the Internet Explorer Settings pane.
- Check the boxes against Browsing history and any additional data you wish to delete. Click Delete.
Go to the site you would like for your Home page e.g. www.google.co.uk or any other site of your choice.
Open the Charms Bar and click Settings.
Under Home pages, click Customise.
Click Add current site.
- Open Internet Explorer on the Desktop.
- Click Tools (the ‘cog’ icon top right).
- Choose Internet Options from the menu.
- Click the Programs tab.
- Check the box next to Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop.
- Click Apply and OK.